Monday 26 March 2012

2012 BMW 3 series: Tested

Throughout the whole day I have been thinking and waiting for the time I get to my hands on the new BMW 3 series, since I organized a test drive yesterday with BMW Hyde Park Auto. Launched this month, the long awaited is over for one of the most best selling cars in the history of BMW and in South Africa, I swear every person in Jozi drives a 3 series.
To my knowledge 4  derivations were launched in SA so far, namely the 320i, 320d, 328i and the 335A. So when I go to Sandton I was expecting to get behind the wheel of the 320i but lucky for me, I found the 328i which packs an 8 –speed automatic transmission BMW TwinPower Turbo parked outside and my heart skipped a bit.
Without wasting time and only one look inside the car, I was behind the steering wheel of the 135kw  BMW 328i, my sister next to me and my friend Gcina, the salesman responsible for this test drive giving me a few instructions, I was off. First robot the car switches off (don’t worry that’s the  Active Cruise Control kicking  with Stop & Go function) which saves u gas in traffic. I got to experience the Stop & go function in January whiles test driving the new 1 series, and it works even better in the 3 series, guess that’s why it boast figures of  at 6.4l/100km’s consumption.
The Heads up display is just what u need in a modern car, no need to be looking at your dashboard whiles dodging a taxi in traffic or trying to beat a red traffic light, of changing the radio station on the multifunctional steering wheel, whiles thinking about the metro cop with a speed camera hiding in the bushes.
The Automatic  with steptronic’s gear change is seamless, it doesn’t even feel like a change gear has happened, I was asking what gear I’m on and Gcina advised me to check my rev counter. As I made an illegal u-turn (Jozi style) I put my pedal down and the car climbed a hill like Usain Bolt doing 100metre in under 10secs. The new 3 series has drive recognition (let me explain) after sometime if picks up your driving style, and the car literally does everything for you, quicker gear change up and sharper breaking.
As I was still falling in love with the drive, I was back in the parking lot, what a bummer, but I had to takes a few pics, see above and also spot the differences from the outgoing 3 series. The front part is lower and sharper more like the Z3, which increases aerodynamics (don’t look at me explain, visit your nearest BWM dealer)
The car looks amazing, new front lights with day light time driving and also available for the back lights which make the car even look more stylish,  new side mirrors with indicator lights (finally). It’s got a huge boot, which you can open just by sliding your foot underneath the car for the days when your hands are full of groceries. A keyless entry system and of course stylish alloy wheels for a sportier look and a BMW feel.
The interior is plush with high quality materials, 3 spoke multifunctional speaking wheel as previously mentioned, armrest for those long trips. It's got ample legroom as well as headroom to accomodate my 1.79 frame even when sitting at the back which is very impressive.


Unfortunately my test wasn’t that long for me to test the sound system. I was concentrating in the drive and everything new in and out.
I love this car, the old downside is that the back of the car doesn’t look new, looks like a small 5 series or even more like the old 3 series, but with that said, I love the new 3 series. I know I’ll be seeing it more and more on the roads and it’s about to shake up the 2 rivalries Merc C class and Audi A4, so let the battle begin.
To summarise my experience in the new BMW 3 series, I love it, I want one, I must have one (please God) this will be my next car and I hope to get it in a sport package.

To feel it for yourself, visit BMW Hyde Park Auto, 126 Rivonia Road, Cnr Daisy, Sandton Isle, Sandown Sandton and Ask for Gc for a test drive.





No comments:

Post a Comment